If you can’t find what you’re looking for, feel free to get in touch with us.

Sometimes we might need extra help in school, college, or training. To find out if you need extra support, you might have an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment.

This is a careful look at what you might need help with.

Lots of people think about what you might need and then write reports.

This is called an EHC Needs Assessment.

You and the people who support you will think about what you can do on your own and what you might need extra help with. They will try to work out if you need any extra support.

Blue icon of a checklist

At the end, they will decide if you need a plan to get you extra help in your school, college, or training. This would be called an Education, Health and Care plan.

If you are over 18 you might need a plan to make sure you can finish your education or training.

Who should have the assessment?

You and your parents or carers will be asked if you want to write down or to say what you think about your needs and support.

Lots of other people will also help write reports, including:

  • Your school or college
  • People that support you
  • An educational psychologist (this is someone who knows lots about how people learn)
  • If you see them: doctors and therapists, or social workers
  • If you have problems with hearing or sight, teachers who know lots about those things
  • As well as any other people you want to write reports to explain your needs

The law says that the local authority must send everyone, what you have said you need, or any reports that you want them to look at.

How do I get an assessment?

You can ask for an assessment if you are aged between 16 and 25 years old and you think you might need one.

Hands of a therapist taking notes in a clipboard with the clients hands in the background

Other people that can ask for you are:

  • Your parents or carers
  • Your school
  • People who work with you, like doctors or teachers

If you want any help getting an EHC Needs Assessment then you can ask SENDiass4BCP. If you do not agree with anything, then they can make sure that your views are heard.

Accessibility Toolbar